Residence permit

How a student can obtain a residence permit in Luxembourg

In this article we will look at what documents students need to obtain a residence permit in Luxembourg.

Last time updated

Student visas, and studying in general, remain one of the most popular ways to emigrate. Let's find out how to prepare for your move to Luxembourg and what you need.

What you should take care of in advance

First of all, if you plan to stay in Luxembourg for more than 3 months, you have to:

  • Submit an application for temporary residence to the Immigration Department.
  • Have a valid passport.
  • Apply for a D visa after the temporary residence permit has been issued.

The application for temporary residence must be submitted in person. Letters and emails will not be accepted. However, the student may authorize a third party to submit the documents. For example, the university can do this for you.

Then, after entering the country, you will need to:

  • Submit an application for entry to the municipality where you will live.
  • Have a medical check-up.
  • Apply for a residence permit for a student from 3 countries.

Full-time students and doctoral students are considered students.

Higher education institutions in Luxembourg include

  • University of Luxembourg.
  • Institutions issuing the Advanced Technician Certificate (BTS).
  • Other state-recognized higher education institutions.

How to move to Luxembourg as a student

What documents are required?

The application, as we have already written, must be submitted in person. It can be submitted directly to the Immigration Committee or to the Consulate of the Grand Duchy.

The application must be submitted and approved BEFORE entering the country.

The application is written on plain paper and must be submitted with the following documents:

  • Copies of all passport pages (even without marks).
  • A copy of the residence permit issued in an EU country, if available.
  • A certificate of no criminal record.
  • Confirmation that the student is enrolled at a Luxembourg university.

Proof of financial means. Resources should be sufficient for living and return travel. The monthly amount should not be less than 80% of the subsistence minimum, which is 1201 euros. This parameter takes into account wages, housing allowances and other social benefits. As proof can be used:

  • Confirmation of the receipt of a scholarship or student loan, stating the conditions and the amount;
  • A bank statement for the last 6 months to confirm money in the account. Alternatively, for proof of parental sponsorship;
  • A certificate of sponsorship signed by a Luxembourg national who is responsible for the student's maintenance;
  • If the student is under 18 years of age, parental consent is required;
  • Health insurance;
  • If a third party is submitting the documents, he/she will need a power of attorney.

All documents to be submitted must be either originals or copies. A simple copy can only be used in the case of a passport (authenticity can be easily checked on the spot).

After obtaining a residence permit, the only thing left to do is to obtain a D visa.

After you move in

The first thing you need to do is register with the municipality where you plan to live. You will need valid travel documents: visa, residence permit, passport and proof of address. Proof of address can be a rental agreement, a phone or utility bill, etc.

The applicant will receive a receipt stating that he or she has submitted the documents and has been registered. This is the authorization to study and stay in the country.

A student from the 3rd country must undergo a medical examination as soon as possible.

The medical check-up consists of the following stages:

  • Examination by a general practitioner authorized to practice in Luxembourg;
  • Tuberculosis screening by the LMS;
  • The certificate obtained is the right to obtain a residence permit.

Application for a residence permit

Within 3 months of arrival, the student must apply for a residence permit. The following documents must be submitted to the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

  • Copies of all passport pages;
  • Certificate of enrollment at the university;
  • Copy of the declaration of arrival;
  • Proof of payment of the 80 Euro fee.

If your application is approved, you will need to make an appointment to be fingerprinted and photographed. After a few days, you will need to come in person to pick up your identity card with biometric da

Validity and renewal

The residence permit is valid from the date of application for registration with the municipality. The residence permit for students is valid for either 1 astronomical year or 1 academic year

It is possible to renew the permit, but it must be done no later than 2 months before the expiration of the previous term.

Documents required:

  • A copy of all pages of the passport;
  • A document confirming enrollment in an institution of higher education;
  • Parental consent if the applicant is under 18 years of age;
  • Financial statement;
  • Certificate of good conduct in Luxembourg;
  • Proof of payment of the 80 Euro fee.

Students with a residence permit from another EU country

If a student already has a residence permit in another EU country, they can come to Luxembourg to continue their studies. But only if certain conditions are met: the studies fall under an exchange program, such as Erasmus+; if there are agreements between universities.

If these conditions are not met, the student must apply using the standard form described earlier in this article.

Documents required:

  • Copy of all pages of passport;
  • Copy of a valid residence permit;
  • Confirmation that the student will continue to study under the exchange program or under the agreement between the universities;
  • A document confirming the time and place of the student's stay;
  • Confirmation of enrollment in a Luxembourg university;
  • Certificate of financial status;
  • Medical insurance.

On arrival, the student must present a declaration of arrival similar to that of students from third countries.

Send feedback
Authors: Kadriia
Was this article helpful?
Very helpful!
I didn’t get it.
This is outdated.