Incentives and benefits

How to get family allowances

Last time updated

Social benefits are a broad category, including maternity benefits and allowances for children under 18 years of age. We have already covered the maternity benefits in our Guide article, but the latter matter is a bit more complicated.

Who is eligible

The family allowance is a financial help to compensate for part of the expenses for the care, upbringing, and education of a child. It can be applied to children up to the age of 18 if they are:

The citizens of Luxembourg.

Live permanently and continuously in the territory of the Grand Duchy.

Are a family member of any person who comes under the jurisdiction of a social security agreement in Luxembourg or signed by Luxembourg with other countries.

If a child is adopted or given into care by a court order, the guardian has the right to apply for the allowance.

Children of employees who are temporarily posted to Luxembourg and do not qualify for benefits.

A child can receive benefits until age 25 if he or she:

Admitted to a secondary, secondary technical, or similar educational institution and studies there for at least 24 hours per week.

Goes to a graded educational institution, faculty or center, or an equivalent institution abroad.

Gets an education, and their income is below the Luxembourg subsistence minimum.

Part-time and distant students (e.g., eBac) are not eligible for benefits.

Residency criteria details

As mentioned above, children must be registered in Luxembourg and reside here to receive the benefit payment. However, this requirement can be altered in some cases.

The requirement of actual and permanent residence in Luxembourg is considered met if:

The child is a family member of a person who,

while maintaining his or her legal residence in Luxembourg, is temporarily living abroad with his or her family for personal reasons.

A child temporarily residing abroad with a parent who:

has higher education, or is studying at a university or undergoing professional training in another country;

has been sent abroad by the employer but is still registered with the Luxembourg social security system;

is part of a Luxembourg diplomatic mission abroad or is an employee of a mission abroad;

participates in a cooperation development mission as a cooperation agent or as a volunteer development worker;

is part of a peacekeeping mission relating to Luxembourg within an international organization;

works as a volunteer.

In extraordinary cases, the Children's Future Fund (CAE) may grant an exception to one of the conditions listed above.

Children raised abroad with a parent working in Luxembourg are also entitled to family allowance. The amount of the allowance may vary, depending on the allowance already granted in the country of residence.

During the time spent abroad, the recipient must have legal residence in Luxembourg.


The application and related paperwork are submitted by parents to the Children's Future Fund. Depending on the status of the applicant, the list may vary.

For Luxembourg nationals

Correctly filled family allowance application form (also available at the commune where the birth is registered);

A copy of the child's birth certificate;

Bank account information.

For new residents of Luxembourg (after obtaining a residence permit)

For non-residents working in Luxembourg

A recent certificate of household members.

Residence certificate from the commune where the child lives.

Family allowance application form indicating whether family allowances were already being paid for by another institution (for a differential allowance, where applicable).

A copy of the child's birth certificate and, if applicable, a similar document from the person to whom the allowance comes.

Bank account information.

Certificate of termination or non-payment from the previous family allowance plan.

Amount and recipients

Who is entitled to child support and what is the amount? Both can vary depending on the specific circumstances. However, there are some basic rules.

Who will receive it

Child support allowance is available to:

Parents, if the child is being raised in a joint household or in the case of joint custody (parents may assign one parent to receive the payment);

Parents or a legal person with whom the child legally resides in Luxembourg.

When a child reaches the age of 18, he or she becomes independent and can personally receive benefits if he or she meets certain criteria. To do this, you must contact the CAE, specify the new recipient of payments, and provide bank details.

In cases of controversy over a potential recipient, the choice is always made based on the best outcome for the child.

Payment amount

Since August 1, 2016, the child support allowance for residents and non-residents in Luxembourg is 285.41 euros per month per child. When a kid reaches 6 years old, there is a supplement of 21.57 euros, and for 12 years old, there is a supplement of 53.85 euros.

For non-resident families, the allowance depends on the number of benefits received in the country of residence. In this case, Luxembourg will pay a difference surcharge, if applicable.

If there is more than one child in the family, the basic amount of the monthly allowance for residents and non-residents is higher:

2 children — 592 euros;

3 children — 1,112.70 euros;

4 children — 1,585.36 euros;

5 children and more — 2,057.65 euros.

Children are also paid an allowance to prepare them for school. It is paid every August and amounts to:

115 euros — for 6-12 years old

235 euros — for 13 years old and more.

Payment termination

Benefits stop in several cases, if:

In case of a child's death, the payments will stop one month after.

If a student has an income exceeding the Luxembourg subsistence minimum.

During studies, when students receive an income equal to or greater than the minimum wage for at least 4 months out of 12, as part of a paid internship or professional activity;

Abandoned studies will lead to allowance termination in one month.

All complaints, appeals, and claims are handled by a committee under the Children's Future Fund. It also has the authority to make decisions about assignment and termination of benefits, change of beneficiary, etc.

Authors: Daria
Was this article helpful?
Very helpful!
I didn’t get it.
This is outdated.