How to exchange a driving licence in Luxembourg

Maria Ovseytseva
Kadriia Sadykova
Last time updated

With a driving licence, you are allowed to drive a car. The conditions for exchanging driving licences are different for citizens from the EU, CIS and other countries.

Who does not need to change their licence

You do not need to change your licence if:

You are a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA).

You are a citizen of Luxembourg.

Who needs to change their licence

You need to change your licence if:

you are a citizen of any country outside the EEA.

You must change your driving licence within 6 months and no later than 12 months from the date of your notification to the municipality of your arrival in the country.

You cannot exchange your driving licence until 185 days after you move to Luxembourg. However, you should apply as soon as you arrive. You will have to take a driving exam — theory and practice — if you are late with your application.

Luxembourg is a member of the Vienna Convention. This means you can drive around the country with your home driving licence.

However, the traffic situation can be different and there may be difficulties with insurance and car rental. So we recommend you get an International Driving Permit (IDP).

According to the laws of the Grand Duchy, foreigners can drive without restrictions for one year. After 12 months since your arrival in the country, your local driving issued in the country of origin and the IDP are cancelled.

If you have a category A, A2, A1, AM, B, BE or F driving licence, you do not need to pass an exam if you replace your licence within a year.

For the truck (C) or bus (D) categories, you must pass an exam (theory and practice).

What documents do you need to change your licence

It's a long list:

A medical certificate (no more than 3 months old). A general practitioner in Luxembourg can provide this certificate;

Certificate of (no) criminal record from the last place of residence (can be obtained from the country's embassy in Luxembourg);

Certificate of (no) criminal record in Luxembourg — Bulletin No. 4 (can be obtained from the Luxembourg police or the municipality where you are registered);

Driving licence — copy and original;

Passport and a copy of the first 2 pages;

Copy and original of documents certifying the right of residence in Luxembourg (residence permit);

1 photo of 45 × 35 mm;

A receipt for the payment of a fee of 30 euros (to be obtained from the SNCA or the Office for the Registration of Taxes, Real Estate and VAT).

Some of these documents require you to have a residence permit. In other words, you must be officially registered in Luxembourg.

Where and how to get Bulletin No. 4

There are various ways to get a certificate of (no) criminal record in Luxembourg (Bulletin No. 4).

Cité judiciaire

It is issued on the spot, at the time of application, without an appointment, at the Cité judiciaire: phone — 47 59 81 346.

There's a whole palace there. It's not easy to find the right entrance; look for the one opposite the fountain:

Natalia Tuprikova
Natalia Tuprikova
Natalia Tuprikova
Natalia Tuprikova

You can also request Bulletin No. 4 from your account in website. Follow these steps on the website: Procedures catalogue — Citizenship — Application for an extract from the police records for a natural person.

Usually, if you write in the evening, the certificate will already be in your email in the morning. The last step is to print it out.

Do not request a Bulletin No. 4

The authorities can ask for it themselves if you tick the relevant box when you fill in the form. In this case, you do not need to bring Bulletin No. 4 with you.

Where to go

You can apply for a licence exchange in person or by sending a package of documents by post.


You must bring the completed form and documents to the reception desk of the service. Do not forget to make an appointment with

Address: 11, rue Notre-Dame, Luxembourg City, opposite the Knuedler car park.

By post

SNCA — You must fill in the special form and send it by post, attaching all the documents.

Address: 11, rue de Luxembourg, L-5230 Sandweiler Luxembourg.

Phone: (+352) 26626 - 400.

If you choose this option, you may be asked for proof of payment of the state fee — timbre de chancellerie. The cost of this can be different. There are several ways of obtaining it.

At the offices of the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority;

At the reception of at 11, rue Notre-Dame in Luxembourg city;

The SNCA. Please note that you will have to pay an additional fee of 3 € for the processing of the application;

You can apply for the Timbre de chancellerie through a driving school if you attend one. Some schools will do this for you free of charge.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where to pay 30 euros to exchange a driving licence

I have been asked about the timbre de chancellerie. What is that

Has anyone taken the theory test for their licence here, how is the test going

We took photos from these sources: Natalia Tuprikova Natalia Tuprikova